Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Knife Of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Goodreads Description: "Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives.

But how do you escape when your pursuers can hear your every thought?"

My Review: When I first saw this book, I did NOT think it was my type of book. The back made no sense to me, and even though I like dystopian books---which this was---I wasn't going to give this the time of day. Until...I did. (What can I say, I have no self-control.) And surprisingly? I really liked it a lot! Okay, so Todd's way of talking got on my nerves for the first few chapters, but eventually I got used to it, and I really began to like his character. Viola was super annoying when she was silent, but when she started talking, I loved her character right away. She and Todd were such a cool due; they were at odds most of the time, but Ness did a GREAT job of building up their relationship. He did a mediocre job of world-building---I still had a lot of questions, but I wasn't clueless either, so that was something. The Noise was something else...it was so cool! I couldn't even begin to FATHOM how weird that would be! The plot was actually surprisingly really interesting, the way that all the women in Prentisstown were dead and vanished, and I was dying to know how and why they died, so THAT kept me reading as well. And the way it was displayed on the page was awesome. The adventure and action parts were really good and pretty exciting---and I found myself dying to know what happens next when I finished it, so I'm going to have to get the next book, The Ask and the Answer, very soon!

Cover: Not gonna lie, I'm not a fan of this cover. It's dull, it's dinghy, and it did not draw me in. The words are written in an icky font (and the name is kind of annoying anyway...) and it's just really unappealing, to me.

Overall Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment