Thursday, July 7, 2011

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

Booklist Description: "Within a few weeks after their breakup, Audrey’s boyfriend, Evan, writes and performs a rock song about their split that catches the attention of a music executive and catapults Evan and his band to stardom. Because she is the song’s subject, Audrey suddenly becomes a celebrity, too, and over the course of a school year, she finds herself dodging paparazzi, rock stars in search of a muse, and star-crazed classmates. Set in Southern California, Benway’s memorable debut is a highly entertaining fantasy of teen fame, narrated in Audrey’s sardonic voice and perfect timed comedic lines that channel contemporary YA culture."

My Review: I've read a LOT of books in my life (no, seriously: a lot). All different types of books, all genres. But in all the books I've read, Audrey, Wait! remains one of my TOP favorites, and I don't think I'm ever going to stop loving it!
        Audrey was one hell of a character. Sassy, witty, relate-able, funny, sarcastic, genuine---she was perfect! She was exactly the kind of girl I want to be best friends with her. And speaking of best friends...her friends Victoria and Jonah were perfect! Funny, loyal to a T, and totally fun to read (and hangout with, I bet). Audrey's obsession with bands and music is something I can relate to 100%, since that's basically MY life, too, so that just made her character all the better. And going on with the topic of characters...Audrey's family was funny and amazing and just pure gold. All of the characters in this book were written with so much heart and wit; Robin Benway is amazing. 
        And the plot! I feel like I don't even have to say anything; it just sort of speaks for itself. It sounds awesome...and it is, indeed, awesome. It's funny and exciting and a bit unbelievable and over-the-top, but that's makes all of this madness that Audrey gets herself into all the more funny. The humor and sarcasm and wit is what REALLY takes this book over the edge from Good Book to Fantastic Book. Being a sarcastic person myself, I really appreciate humor---usually dry---in books. And I loved hearing about Audrey's concert experiences and the weird people she met and interacted with; she took everything with just the perfect pinch of bemusement, exasperation, and sass, and I loved her for that. 
       I could gush about this book forever, but where's the point in that? All I can say is that this book was funny and amazing and pure gold (just like all the characters in it), and I've re-read like fifty times at this point, and I don't think I'll ever stop! Sometimes, your heart just takes to a book...and I love Audrey, Wait! 

Cover: The girl on the cover is cute and trendy, and her expression is pure gold. The title is bright and sure to catch your eye, so the cover, all in all, is pretty nice and cute.

Overall Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment