Friday, July 8, 2011

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Goodreads Description: "Three angels- Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, the youngest and most human- are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness. They must work hard to conceal their luminous glow, superhuman powers, and, most dangerous of all, their wings, all the while avoiding all human attachments.

Then Bethany meets Xavier Woods, and neither of them is able to resist the attraction between them. Gabriel and Ivy do everything in their power to intervene, but the bond between Xavier and Bethany seems too strong.

The angel’s mission is urgent, and dark forces are threatening. Will love ruin Bethany or save her?"

My Review: I'm not a huge fan of paranormal romances, but surprisingly, I really liked this one. I think it's because this time the GIRL was the paranormal being and the guy was the unsuspecting human (versus the cliched plotline of human girl falling for some dark-and-mysterious paranormal boy...YAWN). I really liked Bethany's innocence and goodness. It bordered on annoying sometimes, but for the most part, it was cute. Xavier was the typical nice, loyal, and kind good-boy, and for that, I don't really have much to say about him, except that he was....nice, loyal, and kind. There was also the devious bad-boy demon character, as there usually is, and he was also so typical that I have nothing to comment on. Gabriel and Ivy were more interesting, with Gabriel being very amusing for me, just because of his stern personality. I liked Bethany's details about angels and how they were; with most paranormal romances concerning angels, you don't get to personally experience what it's like to BE the angel. It was a sweet little book (actually, it was rather LONG, to be honest) and it was filled with cliches, but as Adornetto's first book, I think she did a pretty good job (she was only seventeen when she published the book!). And I'm excited to read the second book, Hades, so there's something!

Cover: The cover is really pretty, all the romantic golden light and the dark silhouettes. It's a little TOO romantic for me (I'm not a fan of the overly mushy-gushy things in life), but it clearly captures the attention of readers. I do like how "Halo" was written, and, this is kind of weird, but I really like Bethany's wings. They look really cool.

Overall Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment