Friday, July 8, 2011

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Goodreads Description: "For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along.
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life."

My Review: Much like how there was a bit of a vampire craze in paranormal romances after Twilight, there's been a LOT of fallen angel books. I don't really like much of them (having been put off by the paranormal romance mania), but I decided to give Hush, Hush a chance and read it. And read it, I did. The first time I read it, I rushed through it; I was OBSESSED with it. But when I read it for the second time, I liked it a lot less. Nora is SUCH an annoying character; I am so over female characters who are flat and boring and have no hobbies or emotions or interests, or ANYTHING, really. And Nora was just like that. Her best friend, Vee, was interesting and amusing, but she ultimately became really annoying. Patch was the only interesting one; I liked how he wasn't some tortured, poetry-reading, ruffled-shirt-wearing sort of being (yeah, you know who I'm talking about). He was more amusing. And the plot did pull me in, but there were times where it seemed like the book was plotless. There were also moments where I literally groaned over Nora's stupidity. (She acts REALLY embarassing sometimes.) I guess overall, the plot was semi-decent and---I will say this---of all the fallen angel books out there, this is one of the better ones.

Cover: The cover is AWESOME! I love how it's shaded in all these shades of gray with just tinges of red, and the image of Patch falling is really eerie and awesome looking as well. And the "hush, hush" font is cool. The cover is really attention-grabbing, despite the fact that it's gray. I also love how it's a picture of Patch on the cover, and not just some gorgeous girl with some red or black ball gown on, with mist surrounding her. That's what ALL paranormal romances seem to look like these days, for no reason at all.

Overall Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment