Sunday, December 18, 2011

Bitter End by Jennifer Brown

Goodreads Description: "When Alex falls for the charming new boy at school, Cole, a handsome, funny, sports star who adores her, she can't believe she's finally found her soul mate-someone who truly understands her and loves her for who she really is.
At first, Alex is blissfully happy. Sure, Cole seems a little jealous of her relationship with her best friends, Zack and Bethany, but what guy would want his girlfriend spending all of her time with another boy? But as the months pass, Alex can no longer ignore Cole's small put-downs, pinches, or increasingly violent threats. As Alex struggles to come to terms with the sweet boyfriend she fell in love with and the boyfriend whose "love" she no longer recognizes, she is forced to choose - between her "true love" and herself."
My Review: This book is by the author of Hate List, a book I have not currently read---but after reading Bitter End, I really think I'll have to! Brown is a really talented author. She manages to talk about a serious topic without making the book all emo and depressing and uber-serious---something that happens a LOT when the topic of the book is serious. She gracefully managed to incorporate lighthearted things such as humor and friendship into the book, which made it more believable. I loved the friendship between Alex and her friends; it felt very real and it made me like her friends a lot. I also liked how Alex was just a normal high school girl. Not to be insensitive, but "serious" books always have really depressing, wallow-y characters, and I liked how Alex wasn't like that. Admitted, at times I was REALLY frustrated with her. I felt like shouting, "Why don't you LEAVE HIM? He is a PSYCHO!"...but I guess that's kind of the whole point---showing why she doesn't leave him. Overall, a good book that really makes you think. 
Cover: The cover doesn't make an impression. It shows a sad girl. Lovely.
Overall Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment