Monday, July 9, 2012

My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison

Goodreads Description: "Finding your one true love can be a Grimm experience! After her boyfriend dumps her for her older sister, sophomore Savannah Delano wishes she could find a true prince to take her to the prom. Enter Chrissy (Chrysanthemum) Everstar: Savannah’s gum-chewing, cell phone–carrying, high heel-wearing Fair Godmother. Showing why she’s only Fair—because she’s not a very good fairy student—Chrissy mistakenly sends Savannah back in time to the Middle Ages, first as Cinderella, then as Snow White. Finally she sends Tristan, a boy in Savannah’s class, back instead to turn him into her prom-worthy prince. When Savannah returns to the Middle Ages to save Tristan, they must team up to defeat a troll, a dragon, and the mysterious and undeniably handsome Black Knight. Laughs abound in this clever fairy tale twist from a master of romantic comedy."


My Review: I LOVED THIS BOOK! Okay, got that out of the way. I mean, honestly, I LOVED this book. Why? There are many reasons, and I'll just go ahead and start. First of all: humor. I love humor in books. That's probably why I read so many light-hearted YA chick-lits. They're a bit low on the intelligence, but high on humor. And who doesn't want to laugh while reading a book? Especially if they're reading in a hot, boring summer day like I was. Second of all: SAVANNAH! I loved her! She's the kind of girl you wish was your best friend. Kind of ditzy, self-absorbed, and vain in the beginning, she had matured and become quite a bit more intelligent by the end of the book. She was also nice the whole time throughout, so I liked that. I hate when authors make a girl who likes fashion MEAN, because apparently being a girly-girl = being a total jerk. Right. Anyway, I also---and this is gonna sound weird!---liked how Savannah was pretty and she admitted it. Heroines of chick-lit books (or any books that star a teenage girl) are usually "plain" (or they THINK they are) and "studious" and "above all the other shallow, giggly, glittery girly-girls". At the risk of sounding like one of those cliche giggly girls, PUH-LEASE! I am so over this stereotype. Girls can be feminine and giggly AND be smart and nice and great characters. This is something a lot of YA authors still don't understand, and it bothers me a lot. So props to Rallison, for having a great main character! And third of all: THE PLOT! And the setting! Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! I love fairy tales and magic and the Middle Ages (well, the cliche IDEA of the Middle Ages, not the actual dark Middle Ages), so this book was seriously so much fun for me to read. Did Rallison get a ton of facts about the Middle Ages wrong? Yup. Did it bother me? Not really. The book wasn't really meant to be realistic and serious (if the whole troll, dragon and FAIRY thing didn't give it away...) so those little things didn't bother me. Overall, this book was amazing. It was funny, it was interesting to read, the main character wasn't annoying, and the plot went off in so many different directions that it always kept you wondering what was going to happen next. Anyone who likes humor, fairy tales, or chick-lit should read this book!


Cover: Cute, isn't it? That's obviously supposed to be Chrissy, Savannah's "helpful" fairy godmother. I still don't know why they featured Chrissy on the cover instead of Savannah, but the cover is still adorable! I love the little star wand.


Overall Grade: A+

1 comment:

  1. The cover is cute. Great review, the premise seems interesting. I've never seen a cover feature another character instead of the main so thats new or maybe I havent seen enough covers lol.

    ~Shane
    new follower
    Thanks for stopping by @Itching for books

    ReplyDelete