Friday, July 20, 2012

Lexapros And Cons by Aaron Karo

Goodreads Description: "Chuck Taylor’s OCD has rendered him a high school outcast. His endless routines and habitual hand washing threaten to scare away both his closest friend and the amazing new girl in town. Sure he happens to share the name of the icon behind the coolest sneakers in the world, but even Chuck knows his bizarre system of wearing different color “Cons” depending on his mood is completely crazy.
            In this hilariously candid debut novel from comedian Aaron Karo—who grew up with a few obsessions and compulsions of his own—very bad things are going to happen to Chuck. But maybe that’s a good thing. Because with graduation looming, Chuck finds himself with one last chance to face his inner demons, defend his best friend, and win over the girl of his dreams. No matter what happens, though, he’ll have to get his hands dirty."

My Review: Lexapros And Cons is the kind of book that everyone should read, because it is a very winning book. It rung very similar to The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky and Happyface by Stephen Emond, to me. All 3 books deal with misfit teenage boys who have problems (some of them regarding mental illnesses) and are not very happy people...and all they want is to fit in and to find their place in the world and to be happy. For that reason, I loved Lexapros And Cons. It was a great story about a boy with OCD and his struggles to overcome his issues and find happiness---something ANYONE can relate to, whether they have OCD or not. 
          Chuck was a character I could sympathize with greatly. On one hand, he was pathetic and sort of a sad and lonely figure, and this was heartbreaking. But then you got to hear his thoughts, and how they were snarling with sarcasm and anger and you realized he wasn't just some moron---he was an actual person who was intelligent and had the ability to be outgoing and extroverted. His OCD problems really rang true with me, because I have some obsessions and compulsions of my own (and no, I don't mean the whole I-like-my-room-neat-so-I-must-have-OCD! type of OCD every claims to have---I mean REAL compulsions), and I could COMPLETELY identify with Chuck's agonizing need to do his rituals---while also trying to stop doing them. 
          Also, I just loved the whole color-coding Converse with moods concept. I absolutely ADORE Converse, so even though it was sad that Chuck was stuck with this routine, I couldn't help but applaud his fabulous taste in sneaker. 
          The secondary characters were not as winning, though his best friend did get a little interesting as the book went on. Amy, on the other hand (his love interest), was pretty fascinating. Because she had red hair and bangs and was sassy and cool, I couldn't help but picture her as Amy Pond from Doctor Who! I also just liked her chill personality. 
          Chuck's struggles were sad and at times hilarious, but most of all, they rang true and honest and this is what made this book so easy to relate to and such a great read. It has lessons that all of us can learn from. 


Cover: It's rad! Seriously, who doesn't like Converse? Nice and bright. 


Overall Grade: A-

2 comments:

  1. Chuck sounds like a character you can easily connect with! Love the review:)

    ReplyDelete