Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Goodreads Description: "I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.


Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite."

My Review: (*Spoiler alert*) Pandemonium is a great sequel! It was much more fast-paced than Delirium and had a good mix of action and adventure tossed in. It felt realistic---Lena didn't suddenly turn into some sort of warrior, but you could see how she was GETTING there. I loved hearing about how the world was progressing and all the new info on the Invalids and their world was great. Simply plot-wise, the book was great. I finished it in a day because it was that good. I also thought that the relationship developed between her and Julian was great and I was pretty amazed---and excited---at the plot twist thrown in right at the end of the book, leaving me desperate to know what is going to happen in the third book, and who she's going to pick: Alex or Julian? Usually, with love triangles, it's pretty obvious who the girl is going to pick, but in this case, I'm seriously NOT sure...which is what makes it so much fun! Lena also developed a lot as a character. In the first book, she was very timid and shy and romantic, very Cassia-like. In this book, she had much more of a spine and got a lot tougher and braver, and more independent. It was cool. Her emotions were also portrayed really well---you could really FEEL what she was feeling. I also enjoyed the two different tenses the book was written in; it gave more meaning to the book and made reading it all the more fun. All in all, it was a GREAT book and I can't wait for the third book!


Cover: Eh. It's...just meh. I'm not a fan. It doesn't seem to fit the story well, in my opinion. It looks like a tacky effort to make the cover pretty and tempt all the paranormal romance fans to read it...


Overall Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment