Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Twisted by Sara Shepard

Goodreads Description: "It’s been a year since the torturous notes from A stopped and the mystery of Alison DiLaurentis’s disappearance was finally put to rest. Now seniors in high school, Aria, Spencer, Hanna and Emily are older, but they’re not any wiser. The Pretty Little Liars have more secrets than ever - twisted secrets that could destroy the perfect lives they’ve worked so hard to rebuild.

Aria’s jealous of her boyfriend’s new exchange student. Spencer’s getting a little too cozy with her soon-to-be-stepbrother. Hanna’s one scandalous photo away from ruining her dad’s Senate campaign. And Emily will do anything to get a swim scholarship.

Worst of all: Last spring break in Jamaica, they did something unforgivable. The girls are desperate to forget that fateful night, but they should know better than anyone that all secrets wash ashore … eventually."

My Review: First of all, I'm aware that this is what I call a "sell-out book"---a book an author writes after the series is DONE, just so they can continue their fame and get some more money. And my opinion of an author always goes down after they write a sell-out book. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the book...like I enjoyed Twisted! I liked the flashbacks to Jamaica. It gave the book a fresh spin; a different setting than the town of Rosewood, which was getting a bit tired and boring. And while I was rolling my eyes a bit at some parts---Shepard enjoys using plot cliches that she knows work---I was, at the same time, wondering just WHO Tabitha (a mysterious girl they met in Jamaica) truly was. I hated how the girls fell apart after a tragedy AGAIN---why can't they just STAY friends? But I liked how different, fresh characters were added. Klaudia, the exchange student, was delightfully nuts to read about and Spencer's soon-to-be (or soon-NOT-to-be?) step-family was pretty amusing to read about. I cringed at Hanna's parts (let's just say she made a really stupid rookie mistake) and Emily's parts were just weird. Which means that it was a normal Pretty Little Liars book! I actually enjoyed it, though. It made me want to know what happens next and I read through the book fairly quickly. It had its flaws, but what doesn't? Overall, a good PLL book.

Cover: Every four books, the PLL series gets a re-vamp. I like what they did with the words and the doll this time; it's better than the last four books. The name is fun, too.

Overall Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment