Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Barnes & Noble Description: "Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.
Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.
Laurel's life is the very definition of normal . . . until the morning when she wakes up to discover a flower blooming from her back. As it turns out, nothing in Laurel's life is what it seems. Now, with the help of an alluring faerie sentry who holds the key to her true past, Laurel must race to save her human family from the centuries-old faerie enemies who walk among them."
My Review: Wings was AMAZING. It was enchanting, almost. It was beautifully written and the concept was amazing. Pike really took the idea of faeries and innovated them, so that they were unlike anything I had ever seen in a book before. Laurel was a wonderful character---very simple, intense, and almost innocent. There was an ethereal quality to her that I loved. The whole plot yanked me in and I had to keep reading, resulting in me staying up very late to finish it (and getting a massive headache---but oh well, it was worth it!). The characters were nice to read about and well-rounded, and the plot was interesting. More than that, the book was written in such a simple-yet-beautiful way that it reminded me, for some reason, of the simple children's fairy tales that we all read as kids---although this book was by no means childish. It just had the cadence of something more old-fashioned. I think Wings has the making of a classic in it, as a modern fairy tale.
Cover: At first, I didn't think much of the cover, but as I read on, I began to like it more and more. It was simple and delicate, yet beautiful---kind of like Laurel, or Wings, themselves. So now I actually really like this cover.
Overall Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment