Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Across The Universe by Beth Revis

Goodreads Description: "Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming

My Review: This is one of the best dystopian/sci-fi books I have ever read---possibly because I NEVER read sci-fi, and so the concept is new and thrilling to me...but the book is still amazing. The plot was the best kind (in dystopian books, anyway): the kind where it's a mystery the whole time, but you slowly find out more as the book goes on---and you WANT to find out more. I finished Across The Universe in two days, and would probably have done it in less time, only I had books to read for school. It wasn't too action-y, which tends to happen with dystopian book, and which is a good thing. I don't like the books when it's constant fighting and killing; you may as well go watch an action movie instead of reading a book. The book did, however, give me tons to think about, and it was very well-written. I could completely feel Amy's despair, every time I thought about the fact that she would never see the new planet, she would see her parents again in 50 years, and she had basically given up her life on Earth for nothing. Elder was a little harder to connect to---but he was still interesting to read about. The world-building was also very well done, which---for a dystopian book---is VERY important. And I was surprised at the ending of the book; it seemed as if the whole dilemma had been solved...but then I found out that there are to be two more books. So clearly, this is just the beginning---and for this book, this is a VERY good thing!

Cover: This cover is GORGEOUS. Okay, so the two opposing heads kind of freak me out a little bit...but the background of the universe is way too beautiful to pass up.

Overall Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment